Most NORMAL investors are suffering from DURYODHAN SYNDROM as of now. How to deal with that?


Wednesday, 27 June 2018

Most NORMAL investors are suffering from DURYODHAN SYNDROM as of now. How to deal with that?

Greetings from Hitesh! Our last three posts – one on NARENDRA MODI’s coming time, 2nd - How to deal with losses and 3rd - TRUMP’s game plan have been appreciated by our regular readers and I thank all of them for their time in reading my posts and giving me their valuable feedback. I see NORMAL investor are suffering from DURYODHAN SYNDROM now a day. So, let us deal with that.

What is DURYODHAN SYNDROM: -

In Mahabharat, Duryodhan has said following dialogue and which is the case with most of the investors today. Let us see what he said.

janami dharmam na cha me pravrutthih janamyadharmam na cha me nivrutthih |
kenaapi devena hrudhisthithena yatha niyuktosmi thatha karomi ||

Which means, I know what is dharma (=righteousness), yet I cannot get myself to follow it! I know what is adharma, yet I cannot retire from it! O Lord of the senses! You dwelt in my heart and I will do as you impel me to do.

Most normal investor have following feelings as of now.

1.  I should have sold my shares in January only.

2.  I should not have bought shares when small and mid-caps were at the top.

3.  I should have listen to Hitesh Parikh and bought shares when market was down in 2010 to 2013.

4.  I knew it market is over heated still I bought the shares.

5.  I knew it market can come down any time, still I bought the shares.

These are some of the thoughts which NORMAL investors are grappling with at this moment.

The war between SHOULD do and SHOULD not do: -

Over the years our generations after generations have been misguided with SHOULD DO and SHOULD NO DO Rules. They have gone into our DNA and whichever religion we follow, these should and should not do will always be there.

I have seen many investors friends telling me that they would like to invest more and more if Market CORRECTS. Now, when market is down, they are not ready to invest!! When the shares move up after some time – the same guys will come and tell me – I should have invested at that time. Many who are very near to me have told me in the past that – WHY YOU DID NOT FORCE ME TO INVEST when market was down?

The MAGIC of SHOULD have feelings: -

These feelings lead to self-guilt and self-condemnation. They help you procrastinate the things which you should be doing to correct your mistake at this point of time. If you are honest with in – you will see that from the day one you were not interested in doing something and that was the real reason for not doing it. Had you really wanted to do, rather than thinking about should have or should have not, you will get into correcting your mistakes. But you are passing time in GUILT.

But, NORMAL Guy may say I have invested my real money in stocks. So, it’s not about NOT DOING. It was about WRONG DOING.

You are right. You have invested your hard-earned money and I appreciate that. But, how you can say that you have done something wrong?

Your whole criteria about judging your investment is based on only one factor – PRICE MOVEMENT. If it moves up after your investment, you think you are right. If it moves down after your investment, you think you are wrong. Am I right?  

This belief that price should move up is your real problem and not the investment. Look at the company, is there anything wrong with it? Has the production stopped? Has the sales stopped? Has the company closed? You have 100s of quality indicators to judge the company and your own performance, but all your focus is just on price movement. This is the reason for your DURYODHAN SYNDROM.

That’s why BUFFETT always invests in businesses and not in shares!!

What happened to DURYODHAN can happen to you: -

This is probably the only dialogue he said to Lord Krishna when Krishan went to HASTINAPUR to avoid WAR.

Like, our NORMAL guys, DURYODHAN was also not SERIOUS for what he was talking. He just said in front of all to make them feel that he also has morals and ethics. But he did not give 5 villages to PANDAVA and fought the war and you know he was killed brutally by BHIM.

So, next time you talk about SHOULD HAVE DONE or SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE – be 100% honest with yourself. If you are also saying for the sake of saying – you will also face the destiny of DURYODHAN.

If you HONESTLY feel that you SHOULD NOT HAVE, then appoint a personal mentor to guide you through the investment jungle. If you like our approach, you can contact us.

Have a Great Time.

Follow me on Twitter @hiteshmparikh or on Whatsapp - +91-9869425399.



Live With Passion…Invest With Passion.



Hitesh Parikh.


Comments